About Me

My photo
Have you ever looked at what is in foods these days? Have you ever wondered why life has gotten so crazy that we all rely on processed "quick" foods and fast foods? Well I have had my eyes opened recently when we started to realize our oldest child could be ADD. I decided to clean up our diets and turn out lives around. I am a woman, married to a wonderful man who supports everything I do. We have 3 wonderful children who keep us on our toes and every day when I pick them up from school the first things out of their mouths is "mommy what's for dinner" so here it is...

Sunday, September 12, 2010

What's for dinner 9/12/2010: Taco night

Tonight was taco night with homemade rice-a-roni

Taco's are basic so I won't post how I made them but I will post the Feingold friendly rice-a-roni recipe.  We actually like these better than the box kind

Homemade Rice A Roni

This yields 3 cups of mix

2 cups uncooked rice(not instant)
1 Cup broken Vermicelli (broken into 1 inch pieces)
1/4 cup dried parsley flakes
2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp celery salt
 
Mix all ingredients and store in an air tight container

To use:
Shake mixture well. 

Place 1 cup mix and 2 tbsp butter in a heavy sauce pan brown the rice and noodles. 

Once everything is browned add 2 1/4 cups of broth and bring to a boil ; cover and reduce heat. 

Simmer for 15 minutes or until rice is tender and the broth has been absorbed.

You can add just about anything to this...nuts, veggies you name it



No comments:

Post a Comment