About Me

My photo
Have you ever looked at what is in foods these days? Have you ever wondered why life has gotten so crazy that we all rely on processed "quick" foods and fast foods? Well I have had my eyes opened recently when we started to realize our oldest child could be ADD. I decided to clean up our diets and turn out lives around. I am a woman, married to a wonderful man who supports everything I do. We have 3 wonderful children who keep us on our toes and every day when I pick them up from school the first things out of their mouths is "mommy what's for dinner" so here it is...

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Flank Steak Rolls, Rice-a-Roni & Steamed Green Beans

So last night's dinner was Flank Steak Rolls, steamed green beans and homemade clean rice-a-roni.  With a few tweaks this was made feingold approved and clean eating approved.  I got this from my clean eating cookbook.  Make sure you check out the rice-a-roni recipe...I cleaned it up (not on my site) by using brown rice and whole wheat pasta.








Flank Steak Rolls
Serves 4
  • Olive oil cooking spray
  • 1/4 cups whole-wheat panko (I didn't have whole wheat panko)
  • 1 tbsp pine nuts, toasted
  • 2 tsp red wine vinegar rice wine vinegar
  • 2 cloves garlic minced
  • 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
  • 1/4 tsp dried red pepper flakes
  • 1 flank steak about a pound, trimmed of visible fat
  • 3 oz spinach leaves
  • kitchen string

    1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Arrange a rack in a baking dish and coat with cooking spray

    2)
     In a small bowl, combine panko, nuts, vinegar, garlic, salt, and pepper flakes.  Set aside.

    3)  Place steak on a work surface. Holding a sharp knife, parallel to the work surface and positioned along 1 of the longer sides, cut the steak almost in half horizontally so it opens like a book. Spread steak open with “spine of book” parallel to you.

    4) 
    Sprinkle panko mixture over steak leaving a one inch border along the farthest edge.  Arrange spinach on top.  Beginning with the closest edge roll steak up, gently pressing down on the spinach.  Tie up with kitchen string at 1-inch intervals.  Place steak in prepared pan and bake unto the meat thermometer reads 150 for medium and 130 for rare. Remove from oven, transfer to a cutting board and cover loosely with foil to rest 10 mins.

    5)
    Remove foil and string and carefully cut steak crosswise into 1/2 inch slices. Serve drizzled with any juices that accumulated on the cutting board.
VERDICT: next time I may skip the panko bread crumbs...it absorbed all the juice and made a stuffing that I wasn't thrilled about but overall it was yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment