About Me

My photo
Have you ever looked at what is in foods these days? Have you ever wondered why life has gotten so crazy that we all rely on processed "quick" foods and fast foods? Well I have had my eyes opened recently when we started to realize our oldest child could be ADD. I decided to clean up our diets and turn out lives around. I am a woman, married to a wonderful man who supports everything I do. We have 3 wonderful children who keep us on our toes and every day when I pick them up from school the first things out of their mouths is "mommy what's for dinner" so here it is...

Monday, October 18, 2010

what for dinner 10/18/10: Ham Carbonara and Fresh Whole Wheat Bread

So tonight's very pretty & colorful Feingold friendly meal was ham carbonara...yummy and I got this recipe from Taste of Home's website.  I love looking for new recipe, I love trying new recipes and I am very lucky my family doesn't mind  telling me how they feel about it, is it a keeper or do I toss it...







 

 

Ham Carbonara Recipe
Serves 4-6 ( large servings)

 

Ingredients:

  • 8 ounces uncooked spaghetti
  • 1 medium zucchini, chopped
  • 1 small yellow summer squash, chopped
  • 1/4 cup chopped onion
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1/2 pound thick sliced deli ham, cubed
  • 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese, divided
  • 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon pepper

Directions:

  • Cook spaghetti according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute the zucchini, summer squash, onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add ham and peas; heat through. Remove and keep warm.
  • Reduce heat to low; add eggs to the skillet. Cook and stir until egg mixture coats the back of a spoon and reaches 160° (mixture will look like a soft frothy egg). Drain spaghetti and place in a bowl. Add eggs; toss to coat. Add the vegetable mixture, 1/4 cup cheese, thyme, salt and pepper; toss gently to coat. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
 
VERDICT: very good and a keeper.  The servings are big and it's so colorful and creamy


 


No comments:

Post a Comment