About Me

My photo
Have you ever looked at what is in foods these days? Have you ever wondered why life has gotten so crazy that we all rely on processed "quick" foods and fast foods? Well I have had my eyes opened recently when we started to realize our oldest child could be ADD. I decided to clean up our diets and turn out lives around. I am a woman, married to a wonderful man who supports everything I do. We have 3 wonderful children who keep us on our toes and every day when I pick them up from school the first things out of their mouths is "mommy what's for dinner" so here it is...

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

What's for dinner 10/12/10: Chicken with Creole Gravy and Rice with artichokes

So last night's Feingold friendly meal was a long time family favorite.  I made it Feingold friendly by taking out the creole spice (we can't to red pepper) and using my homemade rice-a-roni mix (in replace of the lipton rice and sauce) and it was still really good and even poor hubby's lunch I put aside was eaten by our daughter...


 Chicken w/Creole Gravy and Rice
Serves 6

Ingredients:
6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1 1/2 lbs)
Garlic powder to taste
Black pepper to taste
1 package (4.3 oz) Lipton rice and sauce mix, mushroom flavor (I used 6 oz of homemade rice a roni mix)
2 cups fat-free chicken broth
3 teaspoons Molly McButter (I used butter buds)

Creole Gravy
1/4 cup fat-free chicken broth
1/8 cup evaporated skim milk
1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
4 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
1/4 teaspoon Cajun spices (I skipped this due to our diet)
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon Molly McButter (I used butter buds)

Directions:
1) Season chicken breasts with garlic powder and pepper. Brown on both sides in skillet sprayed with nonstick cooking spray

2) Sprinkle rice and sauce mix evenly over the bottom of a 9x9 baking dish sprayed with nonstick cooking spray (make sure it's approved)

3) Place chicken breasts over the mixture and bake uncovered 35 minutes at 350ºF, or until most of the juice has been absorbed by the rice

4) While the chicken and rice are cooking prepare the Creole Gravy. In small saucepan combine all ingredients and stir over a low heat.

5) Pour Creole gravy over each chicken breast before serving

VERDICT: this is a family favorite I have been making for years...I love the sauce, it's just the right amount of sweet.  The rice is yummy and the chicken is juicy.

No comments:

Post a Comment