About Me

My photo
Have you ever looked at what is in foods these days? Have you ever wondered why life has gotten so crazy that we all rely on processed "quick" foods and fast foods? Well I have had my eyes opened recently when we started to realize our oldest child could be ADD. I decided to clean up our diets and turn out lives around. I am a woman, married to a wonderful man who supports everything I do. We have 3 wonderful children who keep us on our toes and every day when I pick them up from school the first things out of their mouths is "mommy what's for dinner" so here it is...

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Shrimp & Corn Chowder

So I just realized after 10 years my kids like soup...it all started with beef stew so this week we had a yummy Shrimp & Corn Chowder with a nice salad and I made drip biscuits with some Bob's Red Mill 10 grain pancake mix...it's clean and Feingold friendly


Shrimp & Corn Chowder

Serves 6

1 tbsp olive oil
1 small white onion
2 large carrots, chopped
Salt & Pepper
1 jalapeno pepper (I omitted this)
1 tsp smoked paprika (omit if doing ST1 Feingold)
3/4 tsp dried thyme
1 lb potatoes, peeled & chopped (about 2 1/2 cups)
3 cups frozen corn
1 cup low fat milk
2 lbs small shrimp (not salad shrimp)

Instructions:

  1. Heat oil in a large pot on medium.  Add onions & carrots; season with S&P and cook until soft.  Add jalapeno, paprika & thyme and cook 1 minute. Add 3 cups of water, increase heat and bring to a boil.  Add potatoes and reduce heat to simmer until just tender, 7-8 minutes.  Add corn & milk; season with some salt and pepper and simmer for 3 more minutes.  Remove from heat.
  2. Pour 3 cups of soup mixture into a blender and cover (be very careful, this is going to be hot) with lid and a towel and puree (I did this in batches).  Add back to soup and simmer.
  3. Add shrimp to pot and simmer for 3 minutes or until the shrimp are cooked.  
  4. Ladle into soup bowls and enjoy

    VERDICT: very good, easy and my kids all loved it, who knew they liked soups...this will be great on a cold rainy day!

No comments:

Post a Comment