About Me

My photo
Have you ever looked at what is in foods these days? Have you ever wondered why life has gotten so crazy that we all rely on processed "quick" foods and fast foods? Well I have had my eyes opened recently when we started to realize our oldest child could be ADD. I decided to clean up our diets and turn out lives around. I am a woman, married to a wonderful man who supports everything I do. We have 3 wonderful children who keep us on our toes and every day when I pick them up from school the first things out of their mouths is "mommy what's for dinner" so here it is...

Sunday, January 30, 2011

It's a man's meal...Beef Stew w/ Beer & Paprika

Oh tonight's yummy "man" meal is complements of Pioneer Woman (she's one of my favorite food bloggers).  I made not only a good stick to your ribs meal but with a few adjustments it's also can follow Feingold and can go with the Eat Clean diet with a few exceptions.

Beef Stew with Beer and Paprika

Serves 6 large bowls

Ingredients:




3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 Tablespoon Butter
2 pounds Stew Meat
1 whole Medium Onion, Diced
3 cloves Garlic, Minced
1 can Beer, 12 Ounce Can
4 cups Beef Stock (or 4 Cups Water + 4 Beef Bouillon Cubes) (I used organic stock)
2 cups Water (additional, If Needed)
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce (omit if following FG)
2 Tablespoons Tomato Paste (FG ST2)
½ teaspoons Paprika (FG ST2)
½ teaspoons Kosher Salt
Freshly Ground Black Pepper
1-½ teaspoon Sugar
4 whole Carrots, Washed, Unpeeled, And Roughly Sliced
4 whole New Potatoes, Quartered
Minced Parsley (optional)

Pioneer Woman's Instructions



Heat oil and butter in a large pot over medium-high heat. Brown meat in two batches, setting aside on a plate when brown. Cut pieces in half. Set aside.


Add diced onions to the pot. Stir and cook for two or three minutes until softened, then add garlic for another minute. Pour in beer and beef stock, then add Worcestershire, tomato paste, paprika, salt, pepper, and sugar. Add beef back into the pot. Stir to combine. Cover and simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.


*UPDATE: The liquid should cook down to a thicker state. If it gets too thick/reduces too much, add additional water as needed.


Add carrots and potatoes, then cover and cook for an additional 30 minutes. (If stew gets dry, just add a cup of hot water at a time to replenish the liquid.) Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.

My Instructions:

Omit oil and butter.  Slice stew meat into bite size pieces and place all ingredients in a slow cooker and cook on low all day (I didn't need the extra stock)

VERDICT: DELISH...next time I will probably cut my stock in half since I like a thick stew and this didn't cook down, it may if you do it PW's way but for me it didn't...everyone in my family ate every bite...my kids have never been stew eaters but I guess they are now.  I served this with whole wheat rolls for dipping that yummy juice!

No comments:

Post a Comment